Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic, and in order to prevent the spread of the virus and protect the lives and health of examinees and test centre staff, some overseas offline Chinese tests have been postponed or cancelled. However, in order to meet the needs of students in taking such tests, Chinese Testing International has launched a home-based online test of Chinese Proficiency Test (HSK, HSKK). The relevant arrangements and requirements for the tests are as follows:
I. Time arrangement and inquiries
Exam time: October 30th, 2021 (Beijing time)
Deadline for registration: October15th, 2021 (Beijing time)
Inquiries email: email@example.com
II. Application requirements:
1. Examinees should have access to the following for the duration of the exam:
c. One of the following: mobile phone/iPad/Android tablet/other electronic equipment containing a camera
d. Related software that meets the test requirements.
2. A separate room that meets the requirements of the test.
3. Full acknowledgement and acceptance of the home-based online test rules.
4. Complete registration on the Chinese test service website www.chinesetest.cn as required and obtain an admission ticket for the above test date.
5. During the test, the examinees’ data will be recorded and collected by the online testing system. The use of data is limited to the purpose of the test, and examinees participating in the test are deemed to have granted permission to the test organizers to record and collect this data.
6. Cross-border registration is not allowed. For instance, test takers who register for the online test with a test center in the U.S. must connect from the U.S. on the day of the test.
1. Examinees should confirm that the equipment and test environment meet the requirements:
Before registering for the exam, examinees should check in advance whether their electronic devices such as computers, mobile phones, iPad, software configurations and internet meet the exam requirements.
1. A computer running Windows 7/10.
(1) Mac OS operating systems are not supported, and Mac computers/laptops are not recommended.
(2) Screen resolution should be 1366*768 or above.
(3) High-definition PC camera (built-in or external; 300,000 pixels or above); the room should be well lit to ensure clear images.
(4) The device should be equipped with wired earphone, which the sound is clear and the sound insulation effect is good. For HSK speaking test, the earphone should be equipped with a microphone with clear sound playing, good sound insulation and reception effect.
Note: The test itself cannot be conducted on mobile devices such as mobile phones, tablets, etc. Bluetooth devices, external USB storage devices, such as USB drives and wireless receivers, are not allowed during the test.
2. Mobile phone with camera: Invigilation software(Tencent Meeting (download URL: https://voovmeeting.com/) should be downloaded onto the phone as directed by the test center.
(1) The test taker should enter the designated meeting room one hour before the test starts, placing the mobile phone one meter behind them and slightly to the left or the right, so that the invigilator can see both the computer screen and the test taker.
(2) The invigilator will undertake a 360-degree inspection of the test environment through the invigilating software.
(3) The test taker should ensure his or her mobile phone is connected to WiFi and turn on flight mode.
(4) The mobile phone should be fully charged to ensure normal operation for the full duration of the test.
3.Network bandwidth should be 20M and speed 150KB/s or above.During the test, please close other unrelated applications and use the direct connection network to enter the test.
4.The test should be undertaken in a closed, separate room to ensure there is no disturbance. The test may not be taken in any open environment, for example parks, Internet cafes, or restaurants. All hardware and equipment that will be used for the test should be placed in plain sight on the desk. This should include no item that is not being used for the test. No other people may enter the test room during the test. The test result shall be rendered invalid if the test taker is seen to violate any of these regulations.
5.Cross-border registration is not allowed. For instance, test takers who register for the online test with a test center in the Ireland must connect from the Ireland on the day of the test.
6.Test takers from certain countries are required to take both HSK and HSK Oral Test.
7.Please be sure to confirm whether you meet all the conditions as above before the test registration. If the test environment, equipment and other conditions are found insufficient or unmatched as above after the registration and the payment, the test service fee will not be refunded.
• No paper is needed for the Home-based Online Test of Chinese Proficiency Test (HSK, HSKK). During the test, it is prohibited to copy and record exam questions with notes or electronic equipment; desktop for the test should be tidy without any items irrelevant to the test.
• In order to ensure the validity of test operations, the official Chinese Test Centre or third-party Chinese test centres may collect and verify test-related information from you. This information may include your name, photo, I.D. information, and audio and video recordings taken during the test. We will only collect and use the above information as permitted by law and for the legitimate purposes of Chinese Test Centre International (such as maintaining exam security).
2. Registration and payment
Log in to www.chinesetest.cn to register, complete the online registration according to the following instructions, and then complete the payment online or by contacting the test centre for payment instructions.
• HSK and HSKK applicants must upload an electronic version of photos according to the test requirements. These are as follows:
• Recent ID photo (within 6 months before the test date) (standard two inches), passport photo only.
• Hats, headscarves (except for those worn according to religious beliefs), hair bands, and sunglasses are not permitted in the photo.
• Both black/white and colour photos are acceptable, preferably with a white background as shown below:
Online payment Link:
• Registration fee must be paid prior to March 3rd, 2021, otherwise it will be deemed as a waiver of registration.
• The fee is non-refundable.
3. Registration confirmation and admission ticket
After the applicants have completed the registration and paid the fee, they should log in to the Chinese Testing Website to query/print the test admission ticket at least 3 days before the test. They also need to confirm personal information based on the test admission ticket, such as name, nationality, gender, I.D. type and number, and test information including test subjects, test time, test centre name, test centre instructions, etc.
IV. Preparation before the exam
1. Admission time
• One hour before the start of the test, use the designated video software to enter the designated meeting room ("Tencent Meeting Application”, the meeting room link will be sent to the examinee through the examinee’s registered mailbox before the test), and then place the mobile phone/iPad/other electronic device one metre behind to examinee’s left or right (approximately 45 degree angle) (as shown in the figure below), so that the examiner can view the computer screen, desktop and the examinee.
• The examiner will inspect the examinee's examination environment and ID documents through designated software.
• Examinees need to connect mobile phone/iPad/ another electronic device to the WIFI network.
• Electronic devices used for video recording must have sufficient battery to ensure that they will not switch off for the duration of the test.
2. System login
• Examinees should log in to the system prior to commencement of the test to prepare - ideally 30 minutes but no later than 20 minutes before the beginning of the exam. If examinees are late or unable to log in to the test system due to personal, equipment, or internet reasons, they will not be allowed extra time or a make-up test.
• Log in to the testing system and click to open the Chinese Online Testing Application.
3. Test equipment and environment checklist:
• Headphones or speakers to play audio
• Examinees should ensure that the equipment and internet are functional. If they cannot log into the test application due to other reasons than malfunction of their personal equipment, internet, etc., they should contact the test centre to solve the problem in advance.
Examinees with invalid/incorrect I.D. documents will not be allowed to enter the exam.
Prohibited items should not be in the testing area.
4. Acceptance of Terms and Conditions
Entering the exam
Enter the admission ticket number and password to enter the testing website. Examinees must log in to the registration website with their account at least one day prior to the test in order to obtain their admission ticket number and password using the "Print" button in the "Personal Information Centre" page (as shown in the figure below).
V. During the exam
1. Test regulations
The "Regulations for Chinese Testing" lists all violations and regulations that are applicable to the home-based HSK test (HSK, HSKK). If an examinee violates any, Chinese Testing International and the test centre reserve the right to take action during the test. The situation will then be reviewed following the test, and the examinees may receive further consequences for their actions.
If the test taker fails to take or complete the test due to personal reasons on the day of the test, the examinee will take full responsibility. Chinese Testing International and the test center will not allow extra test time or a make-up test, and the registration fee is not refundable.
VI. Test results and Test report
1. Test results
Examinees can log onto the Chinese test service website (www.chinesetest.cn) and enter their name and admission ticket number to check their results 10 days after the HSK test and 25 days after the HSKK test.
2. Test report
Examinees can log in to the personal information centre to download the e-version score report. Chinese Testing International do not provide hard copy score reports, however these are available to students who request one upon payment of any postage costs.