Chinese Modules for Your School
In June 2022, Mandarin Chinese will be examined for the first time in the Leaving Certificate exams. In 2007, a survey carried out by UCD Confucius Institute for Ireland found that some 181 schools in Ireland expressed a high level of interest in Mandarin Chinese, and since then, the UCD Confucius Institute for Ireland has been promoting Chinese Language and Culture modules in Irish secondary schools. UCD Confucius Institute provides teachers to teach various Chinese modules including the Short Course in Chinese Language and Culture and the TY Chinese Culture and Language Studies programme. Here is the link to the Leaving Cert specifications.
We have worked closely with the NCCA and schools to provide interesting, innovative, creative and interactive modules for Irish students. Currently, Confucius teaching staff delivers Chinese Language and Culture courses to more than 50 schools nationwide.
In line with the Junior Cycle and Senior Cycle Key Skills, the aims of our courses are to:
- provide students with some basic expressions and phrases in Mandarin;
- foster a positive attitude towards language learning, towards the speakers of other languages and towards other cultures and civilisations;
- encourage learners to interact with people from different cultures;
- help students to gain an appreciation for Chinese culture;
- provide students with an opportunity to develop teamwork and organisational skills.
If your school requires a native Chinese teacher from CII, please click on the link below and register. If you have any other queries regarding Chinese modules at your school, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org